Saturday, November 29, 2008

An update

We went to the clinic early on Friday and Harry has a bad ear infection - as I suspected. I also have an ear infection on top of a sinus infection and a bronchial thing that has caused me partial laryngitis. That sounds bad, but honestly, the worst part is my plugged ears. My hearing is actually decreased by about 50% because of all the fluid build-up in my ears. The doc says it won't go away for at least 3-4 days. In the meantime, Harry and I are suffering through together, and last night was particularly bad. He was up at 3:30 crying in pain and it took an hour (and Ibuprofen) to calm him down. I'm just waiting for those antibiotics to kick in and heal us! Harry is not in the best mood - crying a lot and not eating much - typical sick kid behavior. I'm just trying to deal with the hearing loss. It sounds as if I am underwater and everything is just muffled. I can't hear the phone, the timer on the oven, or a lot of what Joe says to me. He thinks that's funny, of course. I felt like one of my ears was clearing up last night, but then it was completely plugged when I woke up today. Joe took the girls to Nana's this morning to make gingerbread houses and I stayed with Harry while he slept. I have so much to do around the house and not much energy. I want to get the tree decorated, the laundry done, and get the house somewhat in order. I had planned on Joe helping me while the kids napped today, but he is gone to Mike Yates' house to teach him how to play Axis and Allies - another geek recruit.

The Big Thanksgiving Feast at Gramma's

What a day. Our crazy Thanksgiving dinner was a lot of fun and a bit odd at the same time. It was a mixture of old and new - nostalgic and forging new ground. It was just funky enough that it would have made a great holiday movie. Both my parents were there: Dad and Karin, Mom and Steve (who did the cooking), and all the kids and their significant others including Danielle and Alan, Sarah and Rocky, and even CK and Ryan, who made a late appearance. The most interesting addition to the group was Taylor - our poor displaced cousin. He had nowhere to go this Thanksgiving with his dad and mom both miles away, so he came and stayed with Mom. It was great to see him and hear all about UCLA dental school. He's all grown up now, but still the same old Taylor - making friends wherever he goes and never at a loss for words. The adults ate at Gramma's big dining room table where we used to sit years ago when I was a kid. I can barely remember the last time we ate in there, but it was probably just after my parents split up when I was 11 or 12. After the feast, everyone had a chance to say what they were thankful for this year. Most of us teared up, and Nonnie was mentioned several times. By the end, there wasn't a dry eye in the room. I think only Karin was a bit confused about the purpose of the toast, and said some odd things about my dad's libido - I'm still trying to work that one out. Grandad also seemed confused, but in a much different way. He was fine early on, but then didn't seem to know what was going on later in the evening. The little kids especially seemed to befuddle him. I watched him following them around, picking up after them, and asking who they were. Mom thinks the whole event might have been too much for him. It just makes me sad. I hope we can do it again next year, but I won't hold my breath. Even with the sometimes strange moments, our Thanksgiving was definitely one to remember. With everyone together at the same time, it was truly a wonderful sight and an amazing accomplishment.

No comments: